Tuesday, November 1, 2011

About this blog and myself


I was born in California and graduated from University of California. I am currently working for The New York Times as a reporter. When Second Sino-Japanese world began in Shanghai, I was sent to collect the news in China on July 7, 1937[1] and offered my help to Chinese if it’s possible.

I lived in China for over 8 years and witnessed how cruel Japanese soldiers were[2]. I tried to interview different kinds of people involving in Second Sino-Japanese war. Sometimes I went with Chinese soldiers travelling to other cities and talked to the local victims or some brave students. Sometimes I met some missionaries who came from America as well. Sometimes I almost got killed by the Japanese who tried to stop me reporting the facts…

However, years went by, there is still one battle I cannot forget. It is like a nightmare for me, for the city, for the whole Chinese, even for whole human society!

In this blog, I will not give my own comments on Nanking Massacre that much. I just want to show some primary sources and my own experiences I got when I was in Nanjing in 1937. I think they are more powerful and reliable than any other words. The reason why I sign in this blog and share those unforgettable memories is to let more and more people know what had happened in Nanjing; I hope publics could think about the issue of morality on human society by demonstrating this massacre; also I would like to alert people the importance of world peace and keeping away from war.
                                                                    ---- William D. Green





[1] Encyclopedia of world history, s.v. “East Asia, 1903-1945” page780
[2] Encyclopedia of world history, s.v. “East Asia, 1903-1945” page786-787

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all these memories. Years ago, I once read some Japanese soldiers' diaries. They said they also felt terrible doing it and they claimed that "the order came from the top". Is it true? I really want to know your opinions or experiences on Japanese soldiers.

    ReplyDelete